Home - General Discussion - Hash Mode Formatting Question

5 Results - Page 1 of 1 -
BML

Team:
7 days ago

Hi,

After posting a question on here the other day, about 8track SHA1 (and getting my question answered perfectly, may I add), I noticed that when cracking the aforementioned hash, with salt, even though the hash list was laid out like this :

Hash:salt
hash:salt
etc

The mode to use was sha1(salt:hash) .... (I know that 8track is actually --salt--:hash--, or --salt--:pass-- to be exact, but that would just confuse the question I'm actually asking about)

then I noticed someone asking for some md5 hashes, with salt, to be cracked. Even though the list was given in Hash:salt format (like the sha1 example above), the suggested mode to use was md5(salt:hash).

I'm wondering why this is, that the list is given in one format, but the attack mode is backwards (as in the above 2 examples) ?
And more to the point, is this the same for every hash/salt combo mode?

I'm slightly confused by this. Perhaps somebody could shed some light on the 2 questions above, or even just some ideas on why this is.

Thankyou in advance..

BML

Team:
6 days ago

Just an addendum:

If nobody can answer the above, could somebody just clarify if this is the case for all hash:salt combo's? (to put hash list in hash:salt format), but attack mode in xxx(salt:pass) format?

I have been trying my attack modes in the same format as my hash layout, ie./ xxx(pass:salt), and after seeing the above 2 mentioned examples (8track sha1 & the md5 one), I'm beginning to doubt all my previous attempts when using salts. Have I been wasting my time, by using the wrong attack modes? :/

thankyou.

payknight

Team: just4fun
6 days ago

BML said:

Just an addendum:

If nobody can answer the above, could somebody just clarify if this is the case for all hash:salt combo's? (to put hash list in hash:salt format), but attack mode in xxx(salt:pass) format?

I have been trying my attack modes in the same format as my hash layout, ie./ xxx(pass:salt), and after seeing the above 2 mentioned examples (8track sha1 & the md5 one), I'm beginning to doubt all my previous attempts when using salts. Have I been wasting my time, by using the wrong attack modes? :/

thankyou.

heres are the example of the hashes https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes

+rep if i helped
BTC : 1PAyKniGHt7yyCb8HdsziTHBEFX6zkGSHz

s3in!c

Team:
6 days ago

BML said:

then I noticed someone asking for some md5 hashes, with salt, to be cracked. Even though the list was given in Hash:salt format (like the sha1 example above), the suggested mode to use was md5(salt:hash).

You are confusing two things here. Hash:Salt is just the format in which it is provided. But md5(salt.pass) is the hash algorithm. And the format to provide the hashes is Hash:Salt, no matter if it's md5(salt.pass) or md5(pass.salt).

+Rep if I helped

Hashes.org - Powerful Community Password Recovery
Hashtopolis - Hashcat distributed cracking tool

BTC: 1VTuiKrNoytU1PvYrF3J7VapQ9oPg93Jn

BML

Team:
4 days ago

Thanks for the link, payknight.. Very useful..

And big thanks for explaining it to me s3in!c, I understand now, I was just presuming the format was the algorithm..

Both been a great help, thanks buddies ..

+rep

5 Results - Page 1 of 1 -

50 users online in the last hour
nick8606, mrfancypants, dipeperon, cvsi, cel1697i845, FineCut, str0nGh0ld,

We have a total of 140958 messages in 17331 topics.
We have a total of 17386 registered users.
Our newest registered member is abc1234.