Home - Wireless Cracking - KALI (arm) + Raspberry PI 3 + ALFA/TP-LINK


19 Results - Page 1 of 1 -
1
Author Message
Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 09:30:38

Looking for some help.

I've experienced some problems building a wifi penetration testing tool based on Rapsberry PI 3 B model with different external wifi adapters capable of monitoring and injecting in the traffic. Unit runs on arm Kali Linux.

As a gold standard I started with different ALFA wifi devices and end up trying TP-LINK and Panda. All behave differently, but common result is that device wasn't stable. To explain in details I'd have to write whole article against each device I used it with.

But if briefly, airodump-ng crashes 30 seconds after start because monitor mode constantly crashes and turns back to managed mode and that is when I connect to it via SSH, if I use GUI it restarts and then eventually can crasj file system after couple of restarts.

It is really weird and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here.

Has anyone had any problems like that and found solution?


Avatar
andydis

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2017
Posts: 47
Team: www.hashcat.online
Reputation: 26 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 11:17:38

I Tried Various Pi's , PI 1, 2 3 , Never got it 100% stable with a similar project.

In the end I switched to KALI NETHUNTER on an android device (tablet or nexus) , works perfect


Avatar
freeroute
Moderator
Status: Trusted
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1792
Team:
Reputation: 5725 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 11:20:28

What commands did you use?

Did you try "airmon-ng check [kill]"

You wrote "airodump-ng crashes 30 seconds after start because monitor mode constantly crashes and turns back to managed mode".
Do you use network-manager or similar program? You should close these programs, because of they are managing your network cards. So if you set your card into monitor mode, and network-manager is running, than it will put back your card into managed mode.

I use Rasberry Pi 3 model B with the same OS (aircrack-ng, hcxtools installed in order to analyze handshakes). There are no errors.

Note: error logs also useful. You should analyze them to find errors. "journalctl -xr"; "systemctl list-unit-files --failed".


If I helped a +rep is appreciated!

BTC donation: 13hDMK85KhVnPb2eTFBacHD6kDjKYFLudb
XMPP: freeroute@xmpp.jp

Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 11:51:06

andydis said:

I Tried Various Pi's , PI 1, 2 3 , Never got it 100% stable with a similar project.

In the end I switched to KALI NETHUNTER on an android device (tablet or nexus) , works perfect

Link, please.


Avatar
andydis

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2017
Posts: 47
Team: www.hashcat.online
Reputation: 26 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 11:58:59

https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-nethunter-download/


Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 12:00:13

freeroute said:

What commands did you use?

Did you try "airmon-ng check [kill]"

You wrote "airodump-ng crashes 30 seconds after start because monitor mode constantly crashes and turns back to managed mode".
Do you use network-manager or similar program? You should close these programs, because of they are managing your network cards. So if you set your card into monitor mode, and network-manager is running, than it will put back your card into managed mode.

I use Rasberry Pi 3 model B with the same OS (aircrack-ng, hcxtools installed in order to analyze handshakes). There are no errors.

Note: error logs also useful. You should analyze them to find errors. "journalctl -xr"; "systemctl list-unit-files --failed".

No, I haven't tried killing clashing services, like I never do when run it on full x86 machines.
I will definitely try this and update if was successful. Thanks for advice.

I still believe the problem is somewhere else, because it behaves differently when using different wifi devices. For example, ALFA(AWUS036NHA) will be different to TP-LINK TL-WN722N, although both using same chip - Atheros AR9271. ALFA(AWUS036NHA) seems not allow to correctly run at all, although ALFA AWUS036H (RTL8187) behaves similar to TP-LINK.

Could it be faulty raspi?


Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 @ 12:01:51

andydis said:

That is a bit expensive solution


Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Tue, 19 Jun 2018 @ 18:14:10

freeroute said:

What commands did you use?

Did you try "airmon-ng check [kill]"

You wrote "airodump-ng crashes 30 seconds after start because monitor mode constantly crashes and turns back to managed mode".
Do you use network-manager or similar program? You should close these programs, because of they are managing your network cards. So if you set your card into monitor mode, and network-manager is running, than it will put back your card into managed mode.

I use Rasberry Pi 3 model B with the same OS (aircrack-ng, hcxtools installed in order to analyze handshakes). There are no errors.

Note: error logs also useful. You should analyze them to find errors. "journalctl -xr"; "systemctl list-unit-files --failed".

See attached result of journalct -xr


Attachments: Login to view attachments.
Avatar
freeroute
Moderator
Status: Trusted
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1792
Team:
Reputation: 5725 Reputation
Offline
Tue, 19 Jun 2018 @ 18:32:15

I use ALFA(AWUS036NHA) also. Good choice, but there are limitations with Rasberry Pi.
ALFA(AWUS036NHA) is a high power consumption device. So maybe the problem is the power consumption.
I can use it with AC/DC adapter, but with portable mode (using powerbank) it is problematic.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?31887-problem-with-raspberry-pi-3-and-alfa-awus036nha

Try at first with AC/DC adapter. If it works, than it is a power consumption problem.

In this case Panda USB adapter (the PAU05 for 2.4 GHz or the PAU07 for 2.5 and 5 GHz. If you want to connect a directional or high-gain antenna to the adapter, the PAU06 is great for 2.4 GHz hacking, while the PAU09 is a powerful dual-band adapter with two swappable antennas.) or TP-LINK tl-wn722n also a good choice. (low power consumption devices)


If I helped a +rep is appreciated!

BTC donation: 13hDMK85KhVnPb2eTFBacHD6kDjKYFLudb
XMPP: freeroute@xmpp.jp

Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 20 Jun 2018 @ 07:07:07

Currently I've tried two ALFAs: AWUS036NHA (Atheros AR9271) and AWUS036H (Realtek RTL8187). Both behave very similarly - restarting the Raspi all the time, which is probably the problem with power, which I thinking to solve with lipos.

In regards to TP-LINK 722, that works, but as I was saying above monitoring mode crashes all the time soon after I run airodump-ng command.


Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Wed, 20 Jun 2018 @ 08:51:51

freeroute said:

Yes, I have exactly the same problem as this guy. Trouble is that 'How to solve the power problem'. The device has to be off the plug and must run on external battery, otherwise it doesn't make sense. Recommendations are to power Raspi with 5V 2.4A, which I do, but this still seems not enough as I'm adding thirsty Alfa or TP-LiNK. I couldn't find any power bank on amazon that will produce more than 2.4A per single connection and I'm not actually 100% sure, that increasing amperage will solve my problem with power. Need advice from electrician maybe.


Avatar
freeroute
Moderator
Status: Trusted
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1792
Team:
Reputation: 5725 Reputation
Offline
Thu, 21 Jun 2018 @ 04:49:01

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630


If I helped a +rep is appreciated!

BTC donation: 13hDMK85KhVnPb2eTFBacHD6kDjKYFLudb
XMPP: freeroute@xmpp.jp

Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Thu, 21 Jun 2018 @ 09:30:23

Check up picture... how they bloody do that?


Attachments: Login to view attachments.
Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Thu, 21 Jun 2018 @ 09:58:46

freeroute said:

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630

Thanks for supporting, but I still cannot find definitive answer on what the heck the problem is.


Avatar
freeroute
Moderator
Status: Trusted
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1792
Team:
Reputation: 5725 Reputation
Offline
Sat, 23 Jun 2018 @ 17:43:49

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630

Thanks for supporting, but I still cannot find definitive answer on what the heck the problem is.

You can try "Re4son-Kernel for Raspberry Pi" : https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/

"Raspberry Zero attached to a powerbank works fine for me with TL-WN722N and some Alfa adapters as well. Running on Kali from here https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/. I'm not removing NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant, because I use NetworkManager to manage the onboard wireless interface in client mode, the external interfaces I use for hcxdumptool/Kismet are exclude from NetworkManager using /etc/network/interfaces as described above. Since sometimes I'm attaching multiple external wifi interfaces I'm assigning them static interface names using udev rules. hcxdumptool is started on boot using crontab + detached screen session."

Background: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40


If I helped a +rep is appreciated!

BTC donation: 13hDMK85KhVnPb2eTFBacHD6kDjKYFLudb
XMPP: freeroute@xmpp.jp

Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Mon, 25 Jun 2018 @ 08:54:57

freeroute said:

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630

Thanks for supporting, but I still cannot find definitive answer on what the heck the problem is.

You can try "Re4son-Kernel for Raspberry Pi" : https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/

"Raspberry Zero attached to a powerbank works fine for me with TL-WN722N and some Alfa adapters as well. Running on Kali from here https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/. I'm not removing NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant, because I use NetworkManager to manage the onboard wireless interface in client mode, the external interfaces I use for hcxdumptool/Kismet are exclude from NetworkManager using /etc/network/interfaces as described above. Since sometimes I'm attaching multiple external wifi interfaces I'm assigning them static interface names using udev rules. hcxdumptool is started on boot using crontab + detached screen session."

Background: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40

I will definitely try this asap, thanks for suggestion. Although, I still believe if Offensive Security built distribution for Raspi they should commit it run basics, like airodump-ng.


Avatar
freeroute
Moderator
Status: Trusted
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1792
Team:
Reputation: 5725 Reputation
Offline
Mon, 25 Jun 2018 @ 09:25:19

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630

Thanks for supporting, but I still cannot find definitive answer on what the heck the problem is.

You can try "Re4son-Kernel for Raspberry Pi" : https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/

"Raspberry Zero attached to a powerbank works fine for me with TL-WN722N and some Alfa adapters as well. Running on Kali from here https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/. I'm not removing NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant, because I use NetworkManager to manage the onboard wireless interface in client mode, the external interfaces I use for hcxdumptool/Kismet are exclude from NetworkManager using /etc/network/interfaces as described above. Since sometimes I'm attaching multiple external wifi interfaces I'm assigning them static interface names using udev rules. hcxdumptool is started on boot using crontab + detached screen session."

Background: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40

I will definitely try this asap, thanks for suggestion. Although, I still believe if Offensive Security built distribution for Raspi they should commit it run basics, like airodump-ng.

Yes, that's true. I use also Rasberry Pi with kali arm without errors.


If I helped a +rep is appreciated!

BTC donation: 13hDMK85KhVnPb2eTFBacHD6kDjKYFLudb
XMPP: freeroute@xmpp.jp

Avatar
kangaroot

Status: n/a
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Team:
Reputation: 20 Reputation
Offline
Mon, 25 Jun 2018 @ 09:33:23

freeroute said:

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630

Thanks for supporting, but I still cannot find definitive answer on what the heck the problem is.

You can try "Re4son-Kernel for Raspberry Pi" : https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/

"Raspberry Zero attached to a powerbank works fine for me with TL-WN722N and some Alfa adapters as well. Running on Kali from here https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/. I'm not removing NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant, because I use NetworkManager to manage the onboard wireless interface in client mode, the external interfaces I use for hcxdumptool/Kismet are exclude from NetworkManager using /etc/network/interfaces as described above. Since sometimes I'm attaching multiple external wifi interfaces I'm assigning them static interface names using udev rules. hcxdumptool is started on boot using crontab + detached screen session."

Background: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40

I will definitely try this asap, thanks for suggestion. Although, I still believe if Offensive Security built distribution for Raspi they should commit it run basics, like airodump-ng.

Yes, that's true. I use also Rasberry Pi with kali arm without errors.

Well, that's why I posted here to may be find a solution. I know people run it as normal and having no issues what's so ever. May be I have faulty Raspi?! Not sure how I would check this.


Avatar
freeroute
Moderator
Status: Trusted
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1792
Team:
Reputation: 5725 Reputation
Offline
Mon, 25 Jun 2018 @ 09:40:27

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

kangaroot said:

freeroute said:

Similar situation on github: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40#issuecomment-398875630

Thanks for supporting, but I still cannot find definitive answer on what the heck the problem is.

You can try "Re4son-Kernel for Raspberry Pi" : https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/

"Raspberry Zero attached to a powerbank works fine for me with TL-WN722N and some Alfa adapters as well. Running on Kali from here https://re4son-kernel.com/re4son-pi-kernel/. I'm not removing NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant, because I use NetworkManager to manage the onboard wireless interface in client mode, the external interfaces I use for hcxdumptool/Kismet are exclude from NetworkManager using /etc/network/interfaces as described above. Since sometimes I'm attaching multiple external wifi interfaces I'm assigning them static interface names using udev rules. hcxdumptool is started on boot using crontab + detached screen session."

Background: https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools/issues/40

I will definitely try this asap, thanks for suggestion. Although, I still believe if Offensive Security built distribution for Raspi they should commit it run basics, like airodump-ng.

Yes, that's true. I use also Rasberry Pi with kali arm without errors.

Well, that's why I posted here to may be find a solution. I know people run it as normal and having no issues what's so ever. May be I have faulty Raspi?! Not sure how I would check this.

I suggest at first check error logs: "journalctl -r -b -k -p err"

Note: you can check also (after -p switch) warning, crit, emerg, debug

root@kali:~# journalctl -r -b -k -p
alert crit debug emerg err info notice warning


If I helped a +rep is appreciated!

BTC donation: 13hDMK85KhVnPb2eTFBacHD6kDjKYFLudb
XMPP: freeroute@xmpp.jp


19 Results - Page 1 of 1 -
1

We have a total of 151566 messages in 18770 topics.
We have a total of 17897 registered users.
Our newest registered member is ziadeh.