NOTE: Why not use our List Manager to crack your lists? Its easy and enables better management.

NOTE: When cracking WPA/WPA2 passwords, make sure you check gpuhash.me first incase it's already been processed.

Home - General Discussion - Markov to use or not to use and how do you use it.

5 Results - Page 1 of 1 -
kevtheskin

Team:
Mon, 31 Dec 2018 @ 15:32:36

Hello all,

Would someone please explain how to use markov in hashcat and Is there any benefit in doing so. Have read the wiki but dont quite understand it. So for all you fast crackers out there please help. Do i to have to add a mask and custom char set . Thanks in advance for any answers and a Big Happy New Year from Scotland when it comes.

Cheers Kev

dipeperon

Team:
Mon, 31 Dec 2018 @ 20:07:07

It's by default enabled on a mask attack. There's only the option to disable it, but I don't see much reason in doing so.

Instead of just iterating to the keyspace with no logic eg: aaa, aab, aac, etc. Markov chains will test likely passwords first like: abc, xyz, etc.

Hence why in a bruteforce attack with markov enabled you will crack more passwords at the start of the attack.

My haschat stuff (rules, scripts): https://github.com/theherp/Hashcat-stuff

kevtheskin

Team:
Mon, 31 Dec 2018 @ 20:40:28

dipeperon said:

It's by default enabled on a mask attack. There's only the option to disable it, but I don't see much reason in doing so.

Instead of just iterating to the keyspace with no logic eg: aaa, aab, aac, etc. Markov chains will test likely passwords first like: abc, xyz, etc.

Hence why in a bruteforce attack with markov enabled you will crack more passwords at the start of the attack.

Thanks dipeperon for you answer. Can you tell me do you use markov when cracking or do you disable it?

Cheers Kev

dipeperon

Team:
Tue, 01 Jan 2019 @ 01:22:29

kevtheskin said:

dipeperon said:

Thanks dipeperon for you answer. Can you tell me do you use markov when cracking or do you disable it?

Cheers Kev

I leave it enabled

My haschat stuff (rules, scripts): https://github.com/theherp/Hashcat-stuff

cvsi
Team:
Tue, 01 Jan 2019 @ 01:49:35

There is more to it then Enabled/Disabled. You can also change a numeric value to it.

If you are running for say ?l?d You can set it to 22. It will move faster through that key space. However, It
will also miss passwords. Sometimes you get lucky, some times you don't.

Please read the forum rules. | Please read the paid section rules.

GTX 1080 Ti , GTX 1080 , 1070 Ti , 2x GTX 1070 Everything watercooled

BTC - 3CwoAwqYgNSZpzzZ2FEjXYceXR2Wr2wTtD
ETH - 0x47D0A7cDA8b330b1729e554BCa5574dc60c51b1f

5 Results - Page 1 of 1 -

We have a total of 187754 messages in 23280 topics.
We have a total of 21106 registered users.
Our newest registered member is ressress11.