NEW: We have a Discord server now. Click here to go there now!

NOTE: Why not use our List Manager to crack your lists? Its easy and enables better management.

NOTE: When cracking WPA/WPA2 passwords, make sure you check gpuhash.me first incase it's already been processed.

Home - Wireless Cracking - Virgin! First hash - Have I Got This Right? Using hashcat on VirginMedia :-)

4 Results - Page 1 of 1 -
OmniPresent

Team:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 @ 20:04:54

Hello
I'm just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to tell me if I have this set up correctly for my first hashing...

I have captured a VirginMedia handshake, stripped it with pyrit, converted that to hccap
Now am I correct in thinking VirginMedia is 8 lowercase letters and doesnt include 'i' or 'o'?
I'm attempting to do this alphabetically with using 1 beginning letter at a time as I have a slow laptop.

So say if I wanted to crack this capture would I need to be using permutations via hashcat (well oclHashcat) so -a 4 there.
And using -m 2500 for wpa cracking? and then creating a custom charset of 8 lower characters? This is what I have so far for just doing it with the letter 'a' at the start of the cracking.

hashcat -m 2500 -a 4 /usr/Handshake/virginmedia7.hccap --pw-min=8 -1 a -2 abcdefghjklmnpqrstuvwxyz ?1?2?2?2?2?2?2?2

So once I have done that I can move onto 'b' which would be just changing the letter after -1

hashcat -m 2500 -a 4 /root/Desktop/virginmedia7707980.hccap --pw-min=8 -1 b -2 abcdefghjklmnpqrstuvwxyz ?1?2?2?2?2?2?2?2

My attempt here is to WPA crack using permutations on the hccap file minimum length being 8 characters (so it doesnt increment) and with a custom charset starting only with a or b as in this second example, using the custom letters for the last 7 characters a-z not including i or o.

I don't want to be there cracking it wrong for the next 10.2 years or however long spending doing it
Have I got everything and the custom charset up correctly for VirginMedia? Is this command perfect for for Virgin?

Thanks for your time, appreciated!

?!

PiXEL

Team:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 @ 22:00:19

Hi OmniPresent,

VirginMedia to my understanding and other users here, is that they omit 'i' 'o' which is good if true as it pretty much half's the keyspace down to 110 billion. I wouldn't use permutations, just go with straight brute-force. Your command looks right but instead of setting two custom charsets just set one and prefix the letter you're on to the front like so.

hashcat -m 2500 -a3 /usr/Handshake/virginmedia7.hccap --pw-min=8 -1 abcdefghjklmnpqrstuvwxyz a?1?1?1?1?1?1?1
hashcat -m 2500 -a3 /usr/Handshake/virginmedia7.hccap --pw-min=8 -1 abcdefghjklmnpqrstuvwxyz b?1?1?1?1?1?1?1
hashcat -m 2500 -a3 /usr/Handshake/virginmedia7.hccap --pw-min=8 -1 abcdefghjklmnpqrstuvwxyz c?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

I would not do this on a laptop, you could damage it with overheating and stressing the components over a long period of time. Using just CPU will take a long time, you didn't say what speed you get so I'll assume for a reasonably modern you get around 4000c/s, it would take you 13 days per letter at that speed, best to use a desktop PC with a GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

OmniPresent

Team:
Fri, 29 Aug 2014 @ 20:15:31

Hello PiXeL,

Thank you so much for that info, great.

Yeah, I was forced into the CPU use as I was unable to get the laptops grafix card working as a GPU cracker I see what you're saying about the overheating eek.
I will set up the Desktop, trouble there seems to be I've not used it for 3 years need to buy some new components for it (like monitor) will just look into setting up some kind of somewhat doable rig.

Thanks again! :-) PLus repped

(Oh dear this has double posted for some reason if a mod could please delete one thanks)

?!

OmniPresent

Team:
Fri, 29 Aug 2014 @ 20:15:32

Hello PiXeL,

Thank you so much for that info that's great.

Yeah was forced into the CPU use as I was unable to get the laptops grafix card working as a GPU cracker I see what you're saying about the overheating.
I will set up my Desktop the trouble there seems to be I've not used it for 3 years need to buy some new components for it (like monitor) I will just look into setting up some kind of somewhat doable rig.

Thanks again! :-)

?!

4 Results - Page 1 of 1 -

We have a total of 211199 messages in 25922 topics.
We have a total of 22948 registered users.
Our newest registered member is djmrclb.